There are many potential dangers to your carpet in your home, but if you take the time to notice them you can prevent damage and have a long lasting, beautiful carpet.
Good luck and remember to call your Payless Carpet Cleaners at least once a year for a thorough carpet cleaning.
Things to Avoid:
1. Keep carpets away from direct sunlight to prevent fading of color.
2. When tackling a stain, always blot from the outside in, never scrub or rub as this will cause permanent damage to the carpet.
3. Do not over-wet your carpet. Over-wetting can cause brownout, shrinkage, and adhesion problems.
4. Avoid flooding a stain. The longer your carpet stays damp, the more chance there is for mildew and bacteria to grow. Dampness also puts the backing of your carpet at risk for separation.
5. Do not overuse detergents, shampoos, or spotters. These can discolor your carpet. Try blotting with cool water only, and contact a professional if you cannot remove any stains or dirt.
6. Planters should never be placed on the carpet. They can overflow or collect condensation. When they do, the mineral rich water can stain your carpet permanently.
7. Never scotchgard or coat a dirty or spotty carpet, as this will seal in the dirt, making it harder to remove the next time you clean. Protective coating should only be applied right after a professional cleaning.
8. Varnish on furniture can easily transfer to your carpet. Be sure to place furniture pads under the legs of varnished furniture, especially antiques and those with darker finishes.
9. Never try to steam clean silk carpeting. Always have it professionally cleaned.
10. Limit the amount of candles you burn. Candles can produce soot which will settle on your carpeting, and can be especially difficult to remove. When you do burn candles, trim the wicks to reduce soot, and opt for quality candles which will have less impurities in the wicks.
Carpet Cleaning & Maintenance
Regular Carpet Cleaning & Maintenance Schedule.
A regular schedule of vacuuming will do much in extending not only the life of your carpet, but the beauty as well. Remember to give particular attention to the high traffic areas. Without proper carpet cleaning and maintenance on a regular basis, you’ll be replacing your carpet much sooner than necessary.
Use Walk off Mats.
Walk-off mats are a good carpet cleaning and maintenance routine. They should be used at all entrances to absorb soil and moisture, and mats should be cleaned on a regular basis so they don’t become sources of soil themselves, especially during inclement weather. Sidewalks and entrances should be kept free of excessive dirt and substances which can be tracked into the home.
Occasionally Move Heavy Furniture.
Occasionally move heavy furniture to avoid excessive pile crushing. Put coasters intended for use with carpet under the legs of tables, chairs, and other furniture to help distribute the weight and prevent crushing the pile. Do not use chairs or appliances with rollers or casters on carpet without a chair pad designed for carpet. Continued use without a chair pad can cause damage to the carpet.
When moving heavy wheeled furniture (pianos, buffets, etc.), prevent damage by placing a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood between the wheels and the carpet.
Use Area Rugs.
If you use area rugs over your carpet, be sure to remove and clean them regularly. Clean and restore the pile of the carpet underneath. Be certain to check area rugs for colorfastness before putting them back over carpet, as the dyes in some rugs may bleed through to the carpet. After cleaning your carpet, remember to allow complete drying before replacing rugs.